Thursday, May 2, 2013

George and Annie: Their First Meeting!


      I decided to share a story with you that I had written for my other blog Frye Farm Antics.  This story occurred last summer.  This is the first time I caught Annie and George playing together.  All true with photographic proof!!  I hope you enjoy!

George had a long summer with his brood this summer.  He and Gracie had two babies this year and Kathy and I called them Squawk and Screech!  They were the noisiest baby birds we have ever heard on the farm. Squawk was the worst of the two. Extremely noisy and full of himself and George hardly had time to himself.  But being the great parents that they are they suffered through it and now the babies are finally gone and on their way.  George lately has had to deal with two very large Turkey Vultures that have made their home on our mountain.  They don't bother George and Gracie to much, but when they come around the farm and circle overhead George lets us know they are around.  George has also developed a relationship with Kathy's cats Annie and Zack. Annie and Zack are year old Siamese cats. Sister and Brother.  They have been very naughty this summer getting after my chipmunks and squirrels and the birds, but we love them so we deal with it.
     Lately Annie has been "stalking" George.  George is 3times bigger than Annie and below is a picture of them together on the barn roof!
They stayed there in that position for what seemed an eternity.  Annie would look up at George and George would look down at Annie.  He would sometimes even clap his beak at her and she would stand on her haunches and try to grab at him.  She started out on the ground and slowly ever so slowly worked her way up to the roof.  Annie hid right next to the birch tree.  She almost got his tail feathers.  She timed everything perfectly.  George was bothered by almost getting his tail nabbed, but after he came back and perched on the post he seemed very amused.  
A Raven who likes cats!!!  How funny is that??  After several minutes they were at a stand still.  So I went outside and gathered Annie.  When George saw me coming he went up into the birch tree.  He stayed and watched me chastise Annie and scoop her up.  I looked up at George and apologized and he just bowed his head as if to say Thank You!  I brought Annie in the house and she stayed by the window watching as George continued with his gathering of food.
Its amazing to me how animals of different species can communicate.  How knowing deep in my heart George realizes that I'm there to protect him and that I love him.  Its simple gestures of respect that wins in any relationship great or small.
Thanks for stopping by George: The Old Silo Raven!  George and I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment